Tuesday, March 19, 2013

JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE, THE SHIT OF MY GENERATION

       Really look at this title hard. If you thought I meant this as slander you are way way way wrong. Being the shit is a good thing, and JT is covered in it. I think it's about time I wrote something positive on this thing, and with JT's album "The 20/20 Experience" hitting the shelves today, I figure this is a good place to start. I wanted to buy this album on Itunes as soon as I woke up this morning, but my goddamned sister spent all of my Itunes cash on books because she wants to "enrich her mind". It's 10 AM and I'm ANGRY that I don't have it yet. All signs point to this being the album of the year, and album reviews are talking about this maybe being one of the all time great pop albums, and frankly, I don't doubt it.
     In a way I want to say fuck Justin. Fuck him because his talent goes beyond a level that can be contained, and as a "performer" myself, it makes me sad to see someone this good enter his prime and realize that I'll never be near his radar in my lifetime.  He's incredible man, plain and simple, and he's fucking hot. I would swing for the other side if I was propositioned by Justin, shit. I'm not afraid to admit that, and if you're a guy and you can't admit that, you have self esteem issues and you should go see a therapist. He's the coolest man alive. Frankly I don't think he's actually particularly THAT funny, and a lot of people (mostly girls) would argue that with me, but the fact that he puts the effort in says something about his personality. He loves his fans, he seems to treat people well, and he loves performing. Watch the SNL performance of "Suit and Tie" and tell me you know another person who can pull off a performance like that in this day and age.
      He's so cool that chances are when Jay-Z got the phone call about collaborating, he threw on 19 gold chains and ran out the door to his insane swiss luxury car that we're all probably too poor to know even exists, and flew down the West Side Highway to whatever secret underground recording studio built underneath Battery Park. Just look at these two. Jay-Z used to sell heroine on Flatbush Avenue and shoot people in the face. Now he's making shadow hand puppets at the Golden Globes because Justin wore a maroon bow tie, and it's allllllll good.



    This album is going to be great, one of the greatest and most memorable of ALL TIME, and hardcore music heads might argue it, but they're wrong. I can think of several friends of mine that would argue that this isn't going to be a "Born to Run", or a "Let It Be", but it doesn't have to be. Trying to top The Beatles will not make your album good, in fact that usually backfires. Overproduced music can be shockingly bad. No one can touch The Beatles, because they're The Beatles, stupid. The thing that makes JT different musically is that he does JT. He's not going to pick up a guitar and send chills down your spine with ice cold riffs. He's not jumping on stage and kicking 16 bars, and he's not going to start singing helpless folk songs. He makes pop songs, he just does it better than anyone else and just because he's not going to make an album with ambient Brian Eno strings does not mean his album can't be memorable musically.
  As an overall performer in this generation he's on his own. He's hosted SNL 5 times now, he does movies, talk shows, and live musical performances. He's a rat packer. He's Dino, he's Frank, he's Sammy Davis Jr. It's the only class he can be put in. He's a throwback entertainer who does it all and does most of it pretty well, even though "Friends With Benefits" was the worst piece of shit ever made. Frank and the boys did some bad fucking movies too though (The Cannon Ball Run II...they were all in that) so he gets some slack.
    Look folks, I know this is way out of character for me but I feel like I need to give some dap to some people who deserve it if I'm going to keep slinging shit at people, and if anyone deserves it, it's JT. Today is his day, and I hope he hits a homerun. Also the next post goes pretttttttttty fucking hard on the other Justin, Mr. Bieber, so bare with me on this one while a give a salute to a man who helped mold my childhood. You will have your blood tomorrow.

New Podcast drops Friday with The Kid Mero. Subscribe to me on Soundcloud and the blog.

Twitter-@mikecoscarelli
Instagram- @mikecoscarelli

Make love, not actual inventions
PEACE
  

No comments:

Post a Comment